4/21/11

Naturalism on Speed

My bike's shakedown cruise took me to Water Street, the
Georgetown terminus of the Capital Crescent Trail.
A cycling post was inevitable. I'm training with a friend and coworker for a huge ride next month, and I've been bike-commuting, so it has become a significant focus of my life. It may not be "naturalism" on its own, but it is eco-friendly and it's one more way I get outside. I really do see a good bit of nature on these rides - albeit in brief, high-speed glimpses. My timing on this is working out...today's Kojo Nnamdi show on NPR had a segment about biking in the DC area. I listened at work, but was not particularly captivated because it got the "Kojo is off today" treatment, and I think the interview suffered from that. However, their guest list was solid, and the organizations listed represent a pretty good way to get started if biking in and around the District is on your agenda.

The manager of Capital Bikeshare was probably the most informative guest. He laid out how the program works, and pointed out that the system is up to 110 stations. If you're concerned about paying for a bum ride, don't be. It seems they have a team of technicians who check and maintain the bikes periodically throughout the day. There is also a system in place that allows riders to alert the maintenance folks of a damaged unit - it's as easy as pushing a button. The online station map alerts you to how many bikes are available and how many slots are empty at any given time. Unfortunately, these haven't really branched into the Maryland suburbs just yet. I've never made use of the system myself, but it seems like a well-run operation that offers a fantastic service. My fingers are crossed on behalf of my neighbors for a Silver Spring station.

If this view appeals to you, Capital Bikeshare might be the way to go.
The other organizations represented were Bike Arlington and Washington Area Bicyclist Association (WABA). Both of these are new to me, so I'll let you discover the details for yourself at the links above. Bike shops are all over the place here; I use Silver Cycles because it's close and convenient, and because they have done good work so far and are friendly. Some bike shops seem to have a condescending attitude (although, in this area you can find someone with a condescending attitude about anything and everything). These folks seem to be all about welcoming new riders. To those prospective riders who fear traffic: bike lanes and bike paths are much more prevalent than I had thought they would be. Main bullet point: this town is bicycle-friendly.

My ride, with Pitt basketball in the background. This was the day I bought the bike...Pitt won @ Villanova.
So, to bring it all together with a naturalist bent, I'll forgo the talk about fuel and carbon emissions and instead focus on some of the nature I've observed while cycling. I haven't paused to take photos (and don't usually carry a camera while cycling anyway), so instead I'll throw out a partial list of animal species I've seen.

  • Vulpes vulpes (red fox)
  • Odocoileus virginianus (white-tailed deer)
  • Ardea herodia (great blue heron)
  • Sciurus carolinensis (eastern gray squirrel)
  • Sylvilagus floridanus (eastern cottontail)
  • Aquila chrysaetos (golden eagle)
  • Turdus migratorius (American robin)
  • Castor canadensis (North American beaver)
  • Cardinalis cardinalis (northern cardinal)
  • Mimus polyglottos (northern mockingbird)
  • Phalacrocorax auritus (double-breasted cormorant)
  • Anas platyrhynchos (mallard)
  • Procyon lotor (raccoon)
  • Branta canadensis (Canada goose)
  • Marmota monax (groundhog, woodchuck) added 4/30/11
  • Spinus tristis (American goldfinch, eastern goldfinch) added 4/30/11
  • Taraxacum officinale (common dandelion) added 4/30/11
  • Didelphis virginiana (Virginia opossum) was deceased, so maybe it shouldn't count. added 4/30/11
  • Podophyllum peltatum (mayapple)  added 4/30/11
  • Toxicodendron radicans (poison ivy) added 4/30/11

There have also been, of course, species that I simply haven't had the time or inclination to stop and identify... various toads and frogs, insects, and the like. My training partner claims to have seen a spider monkey in Potomac last year. I believe him, but I think I'll go ahead and assume that wasn't wildlife.

No comments:

Post a Comment