4/20/11

The Rachel Carson Trail

Today I'm going to share with you one of Montgomery County's outdoor secrets: The Rachel Carson Trail. More properly, to avoid confusion with the trail just outside of Pittsburgh, PA, I should specify: the Rachel Carson Greenway Trail. Given its location, it is a surprising gem. The streamside trail proceeds in both directions from Colesville Road (US 29), with ample parking on both sides of the highway. There are nice waterfalls and pools deep enough for swimming just a few yards down the trail from the parking, so even those not inclined to much hiking can enjoy. Besides, what's not to like about a trail dedicated to a naturalist with ties to Pittsburgh who passed her adult life in Silver Spring? This one might have been slightly more accomplished than yours truly. (If you didn't read the understatement in that last sentence, then you don't know me very well, and you should take some time to browse that last link.) Carson is probably best known for writing Silent Spring, but her career was much more expansive than that.

Why today for this? Well, after departing work early for some apartment-hunting (which turned out to be mercifully brief) I had some time to enjoy the beautiful day. It's nice when these things work out, isn't it? Unfortunately I don't have any photos of today's hike, as I am living sans-camera for now (insert obligatory wailing and gnashing of teeth here). However, I do have enough shots from previous visits to do at least partial justice to the sights along the trail. Today was filled with affirmations of spring: frog song, beautiful mats of wildflowers, butterflies, my first mosquito encounter of the year, and yet more proof that mushroom season is well underway...though my timing on this remains substandard so far this year.

The Northwest Branch, an Anacostia tributary, is the hiker's constant companion along the trail.
Another view of the Northwest Branch
Hemerocallis fulva (day lillies) poke up among the rocks in season.


My hiking companions certainly enjoy the trail.

One of those waterfalls I mentioned.
Not the best photo I've ever taken, but it was the best I could do with this little guy. He (or she) is a blue-tailed skink (Eumeces fasciatus) encountered on my maiden trip to the trail.
On that same inaugural trip, we encountered this fungus. Unfortunately "this fungus" is the best I can describe it.  I Just have no idea what it is. Those droplets of moisture seem to be excreted by the fruiting body - it wasn't wet at all. It might be this particular species's spore delivery mechanism...but that is pure speculation.

This dam can be seen just north of Colesville Road.
A spotted touch-me-not (aka jewelweed). The scientific name is Impatiens capensis. If you'll pardon the pun, in my impatiens I initially misidentified this here as a snapdragon. My apologies for perpetuating ignorance.
Not to ignore the insect world, this water strider (of the family Gerridae) was kind enough to pause for a photo.
Speaking of insects which were kind enough to pose...this tiger swallowtail (Pterourus glaucus) was a tad too friendly - probably dying. At least it has a memorial now.
I could go on; I had forgotten how many pictures I've accumulated over my three or four trips to the Northwest Branch. I've seen deer (ho-hum, but some people are captivated by these creatures), squirrrels and chipmunks, several species of duck, fishes, other butterflies, notable fungi, and more. In fact, a delicious meal that featured two types of chanterelles had its origins on this trail. In short, the full range of diversity in Montgomery County wildlife is on display here, and it's really not out of the way at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment