4/30/11

Species Feature #3, Eastern Box Turtle

There's just something cool about an animal with a door for its head, isn't there? I present the Eastern box turtle (Terrapene carolina carolina, also sometimes called the common box turtle). Often in the world of turtles and tortoises it is subtle differences in the markings that make identifying to species possible; however, these turtles have widely varying markings and are best identified by their hinged shell. This alone will take care of the ID for you in the Mid-Atlantic...if it can close its shell all the way you have a common box turtle. Another subspecies is endemic to Florida, one to the Gulf Coast, and yet another just west of the nominate subspecies; the ornate box turtle can be found out West.

I might have propped this fella (I'm fairly sure it's a fella because the underside of the shell - called the plastron - is curved) onto the log for this pose. However, I returned him to his original location...turtles are apparently easily disoriented and moving them is a no-no unless you're helping them out of the road.

 Terrapene carolina carolina Quick Facts

Common Name(s): Eastern box turtle, common box turtle (this second name is to distinguish from other subspecies of T. carolina.)

Taxonomic Breakdown:

  • Kingdom - Animalia
  • Phylum - Chordata
  • Class - Reptilia
  • Order - Testudines
  • Family - Emydidae
  • Genus - Terrapene
  • Species - carolina
  • Subspecies - carolina
Conservation Status: Near Threatened

Range: Massachusetts to Georgia, and West to Illinois and Tenessee

Check out the m-shaped (or e-shaped, depending on your POV) markings on the shell.

I was always particularly fascinated by these creatures as a child. I think I was captivated by the mystery of what's inside the shell more than anything. It's also nifty that despite their vast differences from mammals, in their dietary habits they are much like us - that is to say, opportunistic and omnivorous.
I think looking closely at the indentation confirms sex, but I don't want to be too confident because sexing turtles and tortoises is notoriously difficult.
This individual was a little less shy at first, allowing us a glimpse of its beak and clawed feet.
However, a confused and agitated Franklin took care of that in short order.

Before I let you go, I want to make note that I will be continually updating my post "Naturalism on Speed" with each new species I am able to identify while biking. If such things interest you at all, you can check in any time. I'm including a date with each newly added species so you can tell at a glance if anything is new to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment